Friday, January 15, 2010

Expectations

The last two entries I have talked about my problem with "expectations" and my lack of being "coachable" in my spiritual life. I feel if I am going to correct these problems I have, I need to go back and find what it is that has led me to where I am. This entry will not include much about coaching, but I have a strong feeling that as I write this stuff out, I will find a correlation with my coaching....

I want to look at the expectation part first. I know his expectations for me, or do I? I think he expects me to trust in him, have faith in him, believe that he is the son of God, study his teachings, understand that he is the truth, and he was crucified so that we may live. I would say that I live up to those expectations. I would not tell anyone any different if I was asked to describe my belief. My belief is in Christ. Now, do I live the way he wants me to live? Is that part of his expectations? Is his expectation for me to live how he would live? Does a father or mother expect their children to live how they would? To have a relationship with him, do you have to meet some sort of expectations? Maybe, he has no expectations, and just wants to meet you and walk with you? From reading the Bible, I believe that he does have expectations. I'm just not sure the spectrum of them. I know right and wrong. I know he wants right. He is there to guide you out of wrong, and help you achieve what is right. Is that it? Is he just there to guide you? Can he be a companion? Is he like a newspaper advice columnist, that you write to and get an answer? Or, is he the friend and confidant that you pour your heart to when you need advice? There is a huge difference. I think it is up to me to determine which one he is with my expectations of what I want.

1 comment:

  1. My experience tells me He plays a number of roles, depending on the stage of life you are in. And your level of commitment.

    ReplyDelete