Monday, January 11, 2010

New year... New Results?

Whether it be in my coaching profession, in my teaching, or in my life it seems that this time of year is bittersweet. Everything is out there. New semester in school, time to look at opponents for next year, and the new year always brings things to do in my life. So, the question is: "Why do I not look forward to January?". I always get a little down this time of year. When in reality, this should be the time I should start to feel refreshed. Ready to go. Everything is in front of me. Time to get a great start on things. Some of it has to do with where I am at with myself. I have never thought of myself as a real dynamo in anything. There are things I feel I do well, and things I absolutely don't do well at all. I think that this time of year I tend to concentrate on things that I need to correct, and those things only. "This year, I'm not going to do this, or I am not going to let this go, or I am going to make sure I get this corrected." I never take time to concentrate on some items that I do well, and make them perfect, or make them stronger. I need to be able to do both. One thing would be with my spiritual side. I am a Christian, and I do have faith in Jesus. I do not attend church, and I do not reach out to people about it. This may actually come as a surprise to anybody who knows me. I can be crude, rude, and curse with the best of them. Combine that with my lack of attending church, and not really reaching out to fellow Christians on fellowship, might lead many people to believe I should not consider myself Christian. I have faith in Jesus, and I do believe in what he says and his teachings. But, maybe because I will not fully put into his teachings, could be why I don't feel refreshed and ready to challenge the newness of the year ahead. How does this correlate with coaching? Well, I guess I ask the players to trust me, and learn from me, and to buy in to what I want done. Yet, I can't do that with the best " coach" life has out there.....

So am I hypocrite, or just a everyday person that needs to reconnect with my spiritual side. Instead of walking next to Jesus during my journey, always assuming he is there when I want to ask him a question or help me with a problem, but actually talk with him, and build a relationship with him....

No comments:

Post a Comment