Thursday, January 14, 2010

Listening to Coach

As I was growing up sports were always big with me. No, I wasn't the best at them. I was average. But, I enjoyed them, competed in them, and did what I could do. Probably one of my best attributes that I thought was that I was "coachable". If the coach taught us a drill, or how to do something, I would do it until I got it right, and would continue to work on it. I was able to understand the gameplan that was put out there, and do what he wanted done. Now, I messed up a lot too, and sometimes I was not the better man in situations, so I was doing what was asked of me, but I lost more battles than I won during the particular contest. I competed, but didn't come out on top all the time. Now that I am coach I do run into athletes that I feel are "coachable" and not so "coachable".... Both types can succeed and can be competitive, but there is a difference. You want athletes that are athletic and coachable, knowing that you can have a very gifted athlete and if they are not coachable, they are going to harm the team more times than help them. even if they make the play of the game, there are times when they can be the best player for the opposing team.

In my spiritual life, I would say I am not very "coachable". There are people that have tried to lead me closer to Jesus. They tried in my youth, in my teens, in my twenties, and now that I am in my thirties, they are still trying. I thank them for that. Jesus is the coach. Why don't I listen to him more? Listen to the conversation he wants to have. Not just the answer to my problem, or the comfort in a tough time. Or, advice he gives when I have done something or said something that is probably not the appropriate thing. ( I had a great time in college!!) I am a Christian that has the faith and the belief that he is the truth. But I yearn for more. I yearn for a friendship with him..... I yearn to be more coachable....

No comments:

Post a Comment